Sunday 11 April 2010

A Conversation with Kate Adams ( a ZHTS Trustee)

What do you do professionally?

I am a GP in Hackney. I also work at the Royal London A and E and for the Out of Hours service in Tower Hamlets. I do some consultancy work for the BMJ. I am a Council member for the Royal College of GPs and sit on the BMA’s Ethics Committee.


What has been your involvement with NUST?

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=0122096bc3&view=att&th=127a6f44964feea8&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw


Through ZHTS I have supported NUST with its ongoing development of the medical curriculum and assessment. I have also been a visiting lecturer.


What were your main highlights during your time at NUST?

I really enjoyed the sessions teaching the students and hearing about their experiences. They are very hard working and committed people.


How did you involved with ZHTS?

For a number of years I was deputy Chair of the BMA’s International Committee and was very interested to explore ways in which the BMA could support Diaspora doctors who want to support health care systems back in their own countries. I had previously visited Zimbabwe and was very concerned about the deterioration of the health system.

What do you see in the future of ZHTS?

ZHTS will need to expand its membership and try and attract more health professionals from the Zimbawean diaspora for its continued success. The link with Kings IDU is exciting because of the track record that Kings has working with its Somali land link


How do you view the relationship between Project Zimbabwe and ZHTS?

I really value the link we have with Project Zimbabwe. I have been very impressed with the enery and enthusiasm of the Project Zimbabwe students. There are some really great projects particularly the teaching of sex education in Zimbawean schools and the medical student buddying system. I hope that those involved with Project Zimbabwe will consider joining ZHTS when they graduate.

What are your hobbies? I really enjoy the arts and culture scene in London. I also sing with the City of London Chamber Choir.

1 comment:

smplcv said...

Great person. Stands as an example to many.


Medical CV

  • Medsin-GKT, King's College London, Guy's Campus, 19 Newcomen St, London, SE1 1UL
  • projectzimbabwe@googlemail.com